Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We’re looking for a passionate and driven individual to provide legal support to drive Ginkgo’s transactional workflow forward. The successful candidate will be able to work interactively with Ginkgo’s commercial team to help take Ginkgo’s business to the next level. The attorney will report to the General Counsel and will support the General Counsel and Head of IP directly.
- Independently manage multiple deals simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Interface directly with internal business leads and support Ginkgo’s commercial transactions and operations team.
- Support business development related transactions including reviewing term sheets, conducting diligence activities, drafting transaction documents and supporting alliance management.
- Draft, review and negotiate collaboration agreements, licenses, commercial contracts, service agreements, consulting agreements, material transfer agreements, acquisitions and other contracts.
- Participate in other corporate matters on an as-needed basis.
- Serve as a collaborative and decisive team member and a strategic thinker with a broad business and technical perspective.
- Support corporate governance efforts, including preparation of board and stockholder consents and securities disclosure documents.
- Draft and execute securities, commercial, regulatory and IP filings.
- Conduct legal research supporting business, transactional, compliance and intellectual property protection functions.
- Review materials and practices to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop, implement, review and interpret company policies as needed.
- Work closely with and manage outside counsel as needed.
- 5+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney, with at least 3 years’ experience advising the biotechnology industry.
- Significant experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating collaborations, licenses and commercial contracts.
- Ability to identify and prioritize issues and respond to rapidly shifting priorities with solid business judgment.
- Oriented to making pragmatic decisions and responding quickly and clearly to urgent situations.
- Strong negotiation, communication, administrative and time management skills.
- Ability to evaluate legal exposure effectively, manage risk and develop creative, client-focused solutions to achieve business goals within appropriate legal guidelines.
- Team player, who listens effectively and invites response and discussion.
- BA/BS degree
- JD and licensed to practice law in the United States.