Inscripta is developing the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, will offer a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s goal is to empower scientists whose gene editing research is stifled by current technical and licensing limitations. By providing this unique platform and engaging in collaborative business practices, such as making its MAD7 CRISPR nuclease free for research purposes, the company enables scientists to realize a new era of biological discovery.
Inscripta is looking for talented computational scientists to join the team this summer as a Computational Sciences and Engineering Summer Intern.
The Department of Computational Sciences and Engineering (CoSE) works collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams throughout Inscripta. CoSE addresses a variety of genomic, proteomic, experimental design and other relevant questions by building tools, APIs, pipelines, and incorporating mathematical modeling, machine learning and similar data science approaches. We are a multi-disciplinary team made up of software engineers, data scientists, and bioinformaticians. We are looking for exceptional candidates to spend the summer working at Inscripta on data analysis projects such as developing novel algorithms, training machine learning models and creating visualizations for detection of gene editing. This summer internship will be completed remotely.
- Open to Bachelor’s, M.S., or PhD students pursuing a degree in computer science, engineering, bioinformatics, biology, biochemistry, physics, statistics, or a related field.
- Must have completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate program to be eligible.
- The internship will last a minimum of 12 weeks, working approximately 40 hours per week.
- While the internship will be completed virtually, candidates in Inscripta’s home states of CA or CO are preferred. Remote work in other states may be possible but is subject to approval.
Potential project areas
Internship projects will be tailored to the skills and interests of each intern. Some example projects are shown below:
- Characterize genome editing efficiency in different genomic contexts and use this information to improve the edit design rules used by our customers. Explore potential machine learning approaches to guide the construction of primer and oligonucleotide sequences used to create genome editing libraries.
- Support Inscripta’s scientific research by partnering with bench scientists to develop novel data analysis methods for genome editing. Create reproducible Jupyter notebooks displaying newly developed statistical analyses and prototypes of data visualizations.
- Knowledge of Python, Matlab, R, or other quantitative programming languages.
- Software development skills, such as knowledge of version control systems like git, interactive debugging, IDEs, etc.
- Strong problem solving, statistical, and mathematical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills (both written and verbal)
- Experience working collaboratively on a team or project
How to stand out:
Projects will vary depending upon the candidate’s background. Candidates will be especially competitive with experience in any of the following:
- Familiarity with a broad range of bioinformatics software and algorithms.
- Machine learning techniques such as linear and logistic regression, deep neural networks, and ensemble approaches to classification.
- Experience performing data analysis using Jupyter notebooks with Python, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Numpy, or R.
- Experience developing interactive visualizations using Rstudio, D3.js, plotly, etc.
- Containerization technologies such as Docker, Singularity and Kubernetes
At Inscripta we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be.
NOTE: While the internship will be completed virtually, candidates in Inscripta’s home states of CA or CO are preferred. Remote work in other states may be possible but is subject to approval.