Inscripta is developing the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, will offer a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s goal is to empower scientists whose gene editing research is stifled by current technical and licensing limitations. By providing this unique platform and engaging in collaborative business practices, such as making its MAD7 CRISPR nuclease free for research purposes, the company enables scientists to realize a new era of biological discovery.
Inscripta has an opening for a full-time Computational Sciences and Engineering Summer Intern.
The Department of Computational Sciences and Engineering (CoSE) works collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams throughout Inscripta. CoSE addresses a variety of genomic, proteomic, experimental design and other relevant questions by building tools, APIs, pipelines, and incorporating mathematical modeling, machine learning and similar data science approaches. We are a multi-disciplinary team made up of software engineers, data scientists, and bioinformaticians. We are looking for exceptional candidates to spend the summer working at Inscripta on bioinformatics projects such as developing new Next Generation Sequencing pipelines for variant detection using standard bioinformatics tools and novel algorithms. The intern will work to develop new tools for manipulating standard genomic file formats and assist in genome assembly and gene annotation. This summer internship will be completed remotely.
- Open to Bachelor’s, M.S., or PhD students pursuing a degree in computer science, engineering, bioinformatics, biology, biochemistry, physics, statistics, or a related field.
- Must have completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate program to be eligible.
- The internship will last a minimum of 12 weeks, working approximately 40 hours per week.
- While the internship will be completed virtually, candidates in Inscripta’s home states of CA or CO are preferred. Remote work in other states may be possible but is subject to approval.
Potential project areas
Internship projects will be tailored to the skills and interests of each intern. Some example projects are shown below:
- Develop novel approaches to variant detection and representation of datasets composed of highly multiplexed, edited cells. Research and benchmark competing approaches for speed, resource requirements and accuracy.
- Support Inscripta’s scientific research by partnering with bench scientists to develop novel data analysis methods for genome editing. Create reproducible Jupyter notebooks displaying newly developed statistical analyses and prototypes of data visualizations.
- Perform genome assembly on novel cell lines and liftover genes from similar genomes for annotation.
- Knowledge of Python, Java, or other advanced programming languages.
- Software development skills, such as knowledge of version control systems like git, interactive debugging, IDEs, etc.
- Strong problem solving, statistical, and mathematical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills (both written and verbal)
- Experience working collaboratively on a team or project
How to stand out:
Projects will vary depending upon the candidate’s background. Candidates will be especially competitive with experience in any of the following:
- Familiarity with a broad range of bioinformatics software and algorithms
- Workflow management systems like WDL, CWL, SnakeMake, Nextflow, etc.
- Graph genome approaches to genome variant detection and representation.
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing or Third Generation Sequencing data
Inscripta offers a competitive hourly rate for interns. Join us for the summer and work with a great team of people developing the world’s first scalable platform for benchtop Digital Genome Engineering. At Inscripta we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be. Inscripta is headquartered in Boulder, CO with offices in Pleasanton and San Diego, CA. This is a remote position.
NOTE: While the internship will be completed virtually, candidates in Inscripta’s home states of CA or CO are preferred. Remote work in other states may be possible but is subject to approval.