Administrative Assistant — Publishing & Operations
SynBioBeta is the leading community of innovators, engineers, investors, and thinkers with a passion for using synthetic biology to improve the world. We host the annual Global Synthetic Biology Summit, lead several initiatives and gatherings throughout the year, and publish the industry’s leading digital media platform, which shares compelling synthetic biology stories through the web, social media, podcast, print, and video.
We are looking for a master multi-tasker — a truly great communicator with a can-do attitude. Candidates should be able to assist team members and customers by handling office tasks, providing polite and professional assistance via e-mail, mail and phone, coordinating meetings and project deadlines, and generally being a helpful and positive presence in the workplace.
Candidates should be professional, polite, and attentive while also being accurate. They should always be prepared and responsive, willing to meet each challenge directly. S/he must be comfortable with computers, general office tasks, and excel at both verbal and written communication. The candidate should have experience and poise working in a fast-paced, team-oriented, dynamic environment. The successful candidate will have an interest in or curiosity about biotechnology and biotech communication. Most importantly, the candidate should have a genuine desire to meet the needs of others.
This is a full-time office position located in Pleasant Hill, CA. Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position supports two main areas — publishing and general administrative activities — for a small biotech industry company.
In publishing, this role will support an editorial team that produces web, print, podcast, and video stories. The successful candidate will administer a publication calendar, and work with our team and customers to meet deadlines. S/he may also be asked to help develop content from time to time as appropriate. This role will also respond directly to requests for media (e.g., story links, reprints, our product list & media kit, etc.).
In administrative duties, the successful candidate will be responsible for operational duties such as database management, managing files and emails, assisting with events, interacting with customers, transcription/word processing, note taking, general office management, and other operations-related activities as appropriate.
- Teamwork – Demonstrated experience and poise working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with many different stakeholders.
- Computer fluency – Strong skills with PC and/or Mac. Experience with Google Docs and Google Drive strongly preferred. Familiarity with Adobe In-Design, Photoshop, Illustrator a plus. Familiarity with Salesforce and Pardot a big plus.
- Publishing – Familiarity with or interest in basic publishing and editorial concepts (editorial calendar, pitching stories, copyediting, fact-checking, copyright and usage, design and artwork, web publishing, printing)
- Communication: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience. Talking to others to convey information effectively. Excellent English grammar.
Education / work experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of work experience
- Bachelor’s degree a plus