Biotechnology Applications Engineer: Synthego
Date Posted / Modified: February 16, 2017Learn More / Apply For Position
, , looking for a Biotechnology Applications Engineer to join our team and help create the world’s first fully automated cloud-enabled molecular biology lab.
This position will own numerous projects, help build the tools and systems to enable industrial-scale molecular biology research, and bring automation to genome engineering.
- Work with outside vendors and internal scientific groups to provide automation for ongoing factory expansion.
- Collection and presentation of budgets for implementation of the automation projects
- Collection and documentation of chemical / biological requirements for processes running on automation platforms
- Collection and documentation of throughput specifications
- Work with internal software team to ensure that 3rd party sourced systems will integrate with the existing production workflow.
- Product development and testing with statistical design of experiments (DOE), relevant experimental planning to demonstrate hardware reliability and reproducibility for internal chemical processes.
- Troubleshoot and resolve mechanical and instrumentation problems.
- Advanced proficiency in programming of Hamilton robotics and other liquid handlers.
- Design IQ/OQ/PQ and validation and verification protocols for hardware and software related to automation projects
- Train research associates and maintenance engineers how service and operate instrumentation
- Create SOP’s for running and maintaining instrumentation
- Minimum of 5 years operating automated laboratory systems in biotech/pharma
- Expertise in the development and implementation of integrated lab automation
- Experience with product development process and project management.
- Experience in writing RFPs and working with vendors to define and deliver systems on-time and within budget
- Background in organic chemistry and biology required
- Experience integrating automated systems with laboratory LIMS systems
- Exceptional communication skills and familiarity with standard data analysis and presentation tools (Excel, Word, Google Apps, Matlab) required
- Experience with program management of NPI’s
- Experience with computer programming
Company Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Generous equity at an early stage company
- Tax-exempt medical insurance reimbursement
- Fully stocked kitchen and snacks
- Free catered lunches and dinners
- Onsite Machine Shop
Synthego is turning molecular biology into an information science. We’re building hardware facilities that abstract biological syntheses and research into software.
Our vision is to bring automation to genome engineering, enabling scientists to run their own fully-automated laboratory at low cost, performing millions of controlled, repeatable experiments per day without human error.
Founded by former SpaceX engineers, Synthego is a leading provider of genome engineering solutions. The company’s flagship product, CRISPRevolution, is a portfolio of synthetic RNA designed for CRISPR genome editing and research.
We are venture backed by Founders Fund, Menlo Ventures, 8VC, and WI Harper.
Rev 20170206Learn More / Apply For Position